Monday, April 30, 2012

A Lifetime of Learning

As a convert in the Church of Jesus Christ for Latter Day Saints I find myself always feeling disadvantaged because I was not raised with the Gospel in my life. My learning and understanding of the Gospel feels dwarfed by those who have the extra decade or two of learning.

It is not a jealousy issue though. It fuels me to teach my own children the Gospel. Whether it is in Primary on Sunday morning or in our home. It is a challenge though as my husband knows nothing of the church and I am still learning daily.

This week I got an amazing quote in my e-mail inbox. A LDS gem I subscribed for on the subject of family. I am looking for scriptures to talk with my children about or use as a teaching tool. This one though, it stopped me in my tracks.

"Learning to fully understand the doctrines of the Gospel is a process of a lifetime and comes 'line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little' (2Nephi 28:30). As children learn and act upon what they learn, their understanding is expanded, which leads to more learning, more action, and even greater and more enduring understanding"  - Cheryl A. Esplin - Teaching our Children to Understand - General Conference, April 2012

After reading this I made a stunning realization that most of us rarely stop to understand. While we are parents, we are also still children - children of our Heavenly Father. We are ever expanding our knowledge and understanding of the Gospel.

Today years and years after my baptism I have a different understanding of many Gospel principles. Some fueled by trials in life, some fueled by parenthood... and others by callings in church.

I am still learning every day, and learning besides my own children is an amazing gift. Pardon my language, but I think it is pretty freaking cool!

Do you take time to learn the Gospel alongside your own children?


No comments:

Post a Comment